top of page

How to report identity theft

You should file a report with your local police department. Your creditors and banks will typically require this. Be sure to contact the fraud department at all of your banks, creditors, and utility providers.

Contact each of the national consumer reporting agencies (Equifax, Trans Union, and Experian) and request each agency to place a "fraud alert" on your credit profile. You should also request a copy of your credit file so you can review recent activity.

Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 1-877-438-4338. The FTC collects complaints from identity theft victims and shares them nationwide. They will provide you helpful information on how to prevent future identity theft. 

bottom of page